Yawl Spring Water Circa 1896
The Jurassic coasts most historic spring Water boats a remarkable history
“During this time the water was delivered to customers throughout the West Country by horse-drawn cart”
Harold Bates had drawn water from the Dorset spring since 1896 when he planned to pass the business over to his two sons. During this time the water was delivered to customers throughout the West Country by horse-drawn cart. Historically ‘Bates and Sons’ was the labeling on the bottles, however, both sons died whilst serving in the First World War. The business was taken over by Harold’s son in law, Horace Jewel. Horace supplied the spring water commercially until 1938.
During World War 2 the United States army occupied the Yawl house. While the army were stationed there the whole of Uplyme was plumbed to receive the Yawl spring water. However, after WW2 mains water was introduced and supplied by the Wessex Water Board.
Richard Steven’s father bought the house which (by this time) was the only house to continue receiving a supply of the spring water. Wessex Water Board approached Richard’s father Reginald as they were finding the running costs of the spring too much and they negotiated to hand the rights of the spring and its upkeep to Reginald Steven’s, along with the land where it is situated. Yawl House was also plumbed to receive mains water at this time.
Historically, the spring water was highly acclaimed by many for its purity and rejuvenating qualities. The same is true today.
The water continues to be bottled at the original source in the Lym Valley where it emerges after passing through deep layers of Greensand, providing a natural filter that purifies and enriches the water with minerals.